# Update & Upgrade
Updates and upgrades are one of the maintenance tasks for sytem. Programs that are not upgraded for a long time, like buildings that are not maintained for a long time, will accelerate aging and gradually lose functionality until they are unavailable.
You should know the differences between the terms Update and Upgrade(Extended reading (opens new window))
- Operating system patching is Update, Ubuntu16.04 to Ubuntu18.04 is Upgrade
- MySQL5.6.25 to MySQL5.6.30 is Update, MySQL5.6 to MySQL5.7 is Upgrade
For AWX maintenance, focus on the following two Update & Upgrade jobs
- Sytem update(Operating System and Running Environment)
- AWX upgrade
# System Update
Run an update command to complete the system update:
#For Ubuntu apt update && apt upgrade -y #For Centos&Redhat yum update -y
This deployment package is pre-configured with a scheduled task for automatic updates. If you want to remove the automatic update, please delete the corresponding Cron
# AWX Upgrade
Upgrading AWX involves rerunning the install playbook. Download a newer release from https://github.com/ansible/awx/releases and re-populate the inventory file with your customized variables.
For convenience, you can create a file called update-vars.yml:
- Use SFTP to connect Server
- Go to the directory /data/awx/ and update this repository from Github
sudo cd /data/awx && git pull
- Go to the directory: /data/awx/installer
- Create new file named update-vars.yml and add the template to it like below(make sure all password is your correct password)
admin_password: 'adminpass' pg_password: 'pgpass' rabbitmq_password: 'rabbitpass' secret_key: 'mysupersecret'
- Run the update commands like below
ansible-playbook -i inventory install.yml -e @update-vars.yml